The Tattershall skyline is dominated by two imposing buildings,
the magnificent cathedral-like Holy Trinity Collegiate Church and
the mighty remaining red brick Keep of Tattershall Castle.
The keep and moat are all that now remain of the
castle, built in the 1440s by Ralph Cromwell, on the original
13th century site. After Cromwell's death in 1456, the castle
fell into neglect until in 1911 when it was purchased and restored
by Lord Curzon. On his death, Lord Curzon left the castle to the
National Trust. Spectacular views of all around the area can be
seen from the battlements, and on a clear day both the Boston
Stump and Lincoln Cathedral can be seen. More about the history
of the castle is revealed using one of the audio guides and by
visiting the Guardhouse Museum Room.
Holy Trinity Collegiate Church and Tom Thumb's grave
Next to his castle, Cromwell built the magnificent
perpendicular style Holy Trinity Church, founded in 1438. Here
there are the remains of some of the finest medieval stained glass
in England, as well as Tom Thumb's grave by the font.
Buttercross and College remains
The village centre was once a market place, evidenced
by the well-kept 15th century Buttercross. The house of Tom Thumb
can be seen on the ridge of a town house in the Market Square,
and just off from here are the remains of the college buildings.